07 February 2018

Episode 197: Friends

While Rob is in France, Brent (and Gabe and Trevor) is joined by friends Andrew Michaan and Mike Fischer.  In this episode, Brent plays a decent amount of music from games he’s been playing lately, Andrew intentionally uses corny phrases to express positivity, and more information is shared as the Green Lantern saga continues.  But mainly, they all just focus on the music and joke around a bit.  Full track listing below.



Game - Composer - Song - Company - Console - Year (North American release unless otherwise indicated)

Touge Densetsu: Saisoku Battle - unknown - Name Entry/Options - Lenar/Bullet-Proof Software - Super Famicom - 1996

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - Michiharu Hasuya - Underworld 2 - Hudson/NEC - TurboGrafx-16 - 1989

Ganbare Goemon Kirakira Douchuu: Boku ga Dancer ni Natta Wake - Kazuhiko Uehara, Yukie Morimoto, Tomoya Tomita - Forest Moon Fortress Pt 2 - Konami - Super Famicom - 1995

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master - Masayuki Nagao, Hirofumi Murasaki, Morihiko Akiyama - Rush and Beat - Sega - Genesis - 1993

Dragon View - M. Takenaka, Mari Komatsu, T. Sekido, Mercado Inc. - Close to Home - Kemco - SNES - 1994

Zig Zag Cat: Ostrich Club mo Oosawagi da - Masako Inata - Inn - Opera House/Den'Z - Super Famicom - 1994

Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie - Noboru Yamane - Space - WinkySoft/Zamuse - Super Famicom - 1993

Ganbare Goemon Gaiden: Kieta Ougon Kiseru - Tsutomu Ogura (Kingorō), Bareika, Michiru Yamane (Tozan Yamane), Harumi Uekō (Gakki Uekō), Satoko Minami (Minami Sushi), Jinsei Iroma) - Credits - Konami - Famicom - 1990

Tube Panic - Ichiro Takagi - Attract Mode - Nichibutsu - arcade - 1984

Dragon Saber - Shinji Hosoe - Volcano (Stage 2) - Namco - arcade - 1990

Wagyan Paradise - Eriko Imura - Satellite - Namco - Super Famicom - 1994

18 comments:

  1. The framemeister is the Cadillac of upscalers. For those who don’t know there are some classic game releases coming out. Secret of Mana in 3d, Mega Man 11, and Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 will be on multiple platforms. First Nintendo steals the Switch name, now Capcom is biting the Legacy from LMH. I think some law suits need to be filed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that. I prefer the OSSC over the Framemeister. The color dept and the next to nothing lag (as well as the lower price tag) make it a much better option.

      Delete
    2. The Framemeister has about 1.5 frames of lag and does cost more but it suits my needs better than the OSSC. I think it’s cool that the open source code allows people to mess with it. OSSC does not have the amount of inputs found on the Framemeister such as Composite, Y/C video, and RCA audio inputs. Last I checked the OSSC does not do a great job with NES and SNES. Just my 2 cents though. Btw if anyone is looking for a consumer CRT I would suggest a Sony Trinitron or Trinitron Wega. I’ve also had good luck with Toshiba and Panasonic CRTs as well.

      Delete
    3. Sony PVM 20” crt with rgb scary cables hookups...

      It’s like analogue hdmi

      Delete
    4. I was definitely looking to get an OSSC but they were unavailable when I got the Framemeister.. I do use the S-video input for my GameCube so I like that, but hopefully I'll get a CRT again. I'm missing the real luminescence of a tube TV.

      Delete
  2. Related to the top of the show business about Sentimental in San Gabriel sings Golf Games and Other Latest Hits, I have been maintaining a SoundCloud page for VGM karaokes featured on The Legacy Music Hour and/or The VGM Jukebox. You can find a playlist called "Josh sings..." which has many of the tracks on that CD, along with other VGM karaokes from the two podcasts. You can stream or download the mp3s from there. Here is the link:

    https://soundcloud.com/vgmkaraokelounge/sets

    I am always looking to get new tracks, so if you are also someone who has performed a vgm karaoke on one of these two shows and are interested in having your karaoke featured in the SoundCloud collection, send the MP3 to jungletoads@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! Thank you so very much for doing this for all of us!

      I'm St. John, so you should have one from me already. I've got a second one that I sent to both podcasts. Should be hearing it soon! :-)

      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I don't have one from you. Please email me and I will gladly add it to the collection: Jungletoads@yahoo.com

      I don't post them without permission from the singer.

      Delete
  3. Shinji Hosoe is such a beast!

    Shinobi III is my favorite Genesis OST next to Thunder Force IV. Epic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that Shinji song just takes you away. Feels like a space shooter.

      Delete
  4. I’m “User 512”. Great track selection! The piano on the Touge Densetsu soundtrack is so bouncy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great episode. I especially liked the Goemon jokes. I thought of "Goemon in 60 seconds" and Brent said it seconds later, which was a delight. Here is the TurboGrafx AV adapter that was mentioned. http://www.stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the term Brent was looking for when referring to the style of show that the Great Battle characters are pulled from is "tokusatsu." I can't say all the Great Battle games are fun to play but they certainly have pumped-out-bonk-jamz for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brent, thanks for sharing Dean Evans’ response regarding the Great Green Lantern OST Fiasco of 2017. Gabe, I share your suspicion regarding the reverb fidelity; that was the principal thing that sounded super-SNES to me, along with a very slightly brighter tonal quality than I’d heard on the SNES.

    EVEN SO, I took Dean up on his suggestion and did a 3-way comparison between his posted GL tracks, his posted Waterworld tracks, and WW tracks I played straight off of the Modizer app(my reference VGM player). Dean suggested this because the WW tracks he posted to YouTube were captured in the exact same way as his GL tracks.

    The comparison was instructive; comparing the raw WW tracks to his MEDIT-culled versions, you can hear pretty much the same sonic signature that makes the Green Lantern tracks seem suspect. What I originally thought was a higher clarity, I would now characterize as a slight leanness in the lower midrange. It’s a similar sound that you’d hear if you recorded a digital file onto reel-to-reel tape....kind of like the eq emphasis that was popular in the late 80’s.

    Obviously at this point we don’t know whether that sound comes from the destructive editing that comes about from removing hiss/hum(his description sounded like he did a reverse-phase loop of the hiss and “added” it in to cancel the sine wave, kind of like Dolby NR), or it was a consciously added EQ, or whether it was simply because he recorded it to a tape-based format. Sorry for going ‘round and ‘round with this one Gabe and Brent....I just find this mystery fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystery Music Hour podcast starring Angela Lansbury. She would solve mysteries of unknown video game music composers with her talking skateboard. The talking skateboard would be like a Knight Rider type situation.

      Delete