21 December 2011

Episode 60: Free Play 6

Brent and Rob play whatever they want for Episode 60.  They also do another round of VGM Karaoke.  This time, Rob experiments with a new sort of lyrical approach while Brent presents a very special Secret of Mana based Christmas song.  Happy holidays!  Full track listing below.



Game - Composer - Song - Company - Console - Year (North American release unless otherwise indicated)

Master of Monsters - Hayato Matsuo (comp., arr.), Koichi Sugiyama (advisor), Hitoshi Sakimoto (arr.) - Standing in the White Fortress (BGM 05) - Renovation - Genesis - 1991

Sonic Blast Man II - K. Watanabe, Naoto Yagishita - Plane - Taito - SNES - 1994

Asterix - Alberto José González - Rome - Infogrames/Bit Managers - Game Boy (Europe) - 1993

Tales of Phantasia - Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura, Ryota Furuya - Lake on Ymir - Namco/Wolf Team - Super Famicom - 1996

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Iku Mizutani, Kinuyo Yamashita - Cave - Natsume/Bandai - SNES - 1994

Crusader of Centy - Motokazu Shinoda - Water Lily - Nextech/Atlus - Genesis - 1994

Platoon - Jonathan Dunn (New) - Ending - Sunsoft/Ocean Software - NES - 1988

Insector X - unknown - Silent Mad Service (Round 3: In the Sewers) - Hot-B (dev.)/Sage Creations (pub.)/Taito (licensed by) - Genesis - 1990

Great Greed - Gaspar Sanz, Katsuro Tajima (Chopin) (arr.) - Españoleta (Title Screen) - Namco - Game Boy - 1993

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Koji Kondo - Majestic Castle - Nintendo - SNES - 1992

Romancing SaGa - Kenji Ito - Sailing the Ocean - Square - Super Famicom - 1992

Treasure Hunter G - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Hamarira Hahihi - Sting/Square - Super Famicom - 1996

Blaster Master - Naoki Kodaka - Area 2 - Sunsoft - NES - 1988

11 comments:

  1. Here is a nice little Christmas mix for you its kinda weird how close Mario and Christmas music sound so close to each other

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMgleUxD9w&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance there will ever be a C64 special? I know it's technically a computer, but it did plug into a TV and practically everyone and his dog owned one during the 80ies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never get used to hear my name pronounced in English, sounds so awful! That's why I used the nickname "McAlby" or "Joe McAlby" in my earlier works. I should have sticked to it :)

    I'm in process of uploading several "never released" tracks to Soundcloud, from my earlier works in ZX Spectrum (when I was 16) to my latests experiments. They are not of the best quality, but I hope anyone interested in my past works could appreciate them.

    http://soundcloud.com/joemcalby

    By the way, of all my soundtracks, why did you chose one of the shortest and simplest tunes for the show? :D

    Cheers guys!
    Alberto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alberto! Thanks so much for commenting! I don't know if you heard a later episode but I hate the way my name is pronounced too. That's why I shortened it to Rob.

      We would love to talk to you someday about music!

      Delete
  4. Never would have expected to hear The Legend of Zelda and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in the same playlist on here.


    When Brent and Rob started forming the "Romancing Sagat" script or fan fiction. I started cracking up. If a fan film ever happens I know where it all began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of our show is that we juxtapose all kinds of tracks. Brent's taste and my taste are so different that not only are the tracks varied but so are the styles.

      Romancing Sagat MUST be made into a film!

      Delete
  5. A lot of NES games seem to have similar ending music, and I love all of it, including this Platoon track. I hope someday you do a whole show full of ending music (maybe you have already and I haven't seen it yet because I'm slowly making my way through the archives).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob had a nice throwback to princess toadstool stringing Mario along. :)

    Romancing sagat was too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Great Greed Title Track is a spanish song called "Españoleta/Españoletas". It is a famous piece in the classical guitar repertoire. It was probably based on the version written by Gaspar Sanz.

    ReplyDelete